Saturday, February 27, 2010

Method 9

I've been using chat, whether through Messenger or AIM, for many years. The only library experience I have with it was when I used it from the patron's end to ask a question to a librarian in another state. It was convenient and useful. I didn't know about Meebo before and was glad to learn about it. The potential problem I can see is that both here and at other libraries where I've worked, there is a range of technical ability among librarians. I know that the answer to that issue is training, but there is the issue of resistance to training in new technologies. I think it's part of our job as librarians to take courses such as this one to be current, but I know so many who aren't and don't care that they aren't. The quality of answer and interaction a patron receives shouldn't depend on luck of the draw as to who is on desk at the time, but it does in real life, so I guess this is no different. I can just imagine poorly answered chat interactions, or even ignored attempts at chat. That would be worse than not having it at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment