Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Method 7

I can easily see both the personal and professional benefits of a social bookmarking site such as delicious. I was going to make an account, then found that I would have to create a yahoo account, then had a vague recollection that I already had one. That's one nuisance that I guess there's no way around (such as needing a google account to use blogger). Unless you marry yourself to one company you can end up with so many that you no longer know what profiles you do and don't have. But I digress, so let me return to the topic at hand, not continue musing upon the cost of the cloud.

Personally, I would use this regularly as I have a number of different computers that I use, from the computer on the library's public floor, to my office computer, to my home computer, to my laptop, to my smartphone. It would purely be a matter of convenience. For the library, I definitely see how it can be used for book recommendations, pathfinders, teaching, and generally building an interactivity with our patrons. I liked the idea of breaking down groups into current events, books, arts & culture, science & technology, etc. in order to still perform the job of a librarian in directing our patrons to current and correct information in our modern world where we may never see the patron at all. This speaks to me on the issue of how libraries maintain relevance in the age of Google. It is our place as librarians to find order in chaos, and with tools such as delicious, I think it is a service to our patrons and our profession to use such tools to help both them and ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment