Saturday, February 27, 2010

Method 8

Personally, I think social networking is great. For me, though, I pick and chose the ones that I use. I don't go all out, and embrace each one, I just find the ones that I will use, and keep up with. But as a librarian, I am all for each one. It is such a great way to reach out to the community, and keeping people informed of what is going on at the library. I think it is such a great venue because you can not only reach users, but also the non-users of the library. The segment of people that never go to a library, because they think the library has no relevance to them. Social networking is the absolute best way to reach those users, and to show them that we do have resources that can help everyone.

I am one that tries to keep my personal life and professional life separate. I have different email addresses for personal (one that I've had since I was 16 years old), and email addresses for my professional life. It is a little easier for me, I think, because I have two separate jobs, so it comes naturally to be able to separate things. And I really don't necessarily want patrons from my library to know that I'm a single mom with kids, or that I'm currently looking for love on eharmony. :) But I also believe that as a librarian, you have to let a lot of your personal side show. To be able to relate to the patrons, and to make them feel comfortable, so they can ask the silly questions. I think everyone deals with this situation, though, when you have coworkers as your facebook friend. It creates some very interesting situations.

I've already commented on this, but I fully believe that libraries should embrace social networking. For one thing, it is FREE. It doesn't cost anything to set your facebook status to an upcoming program or event, or to tweet about the latest book coming out. But as a library, you also have to be careful, because there is such a wide variety of technical skills within the patrons. On the plus side, I think social networking could reach those that have the technical skill, but may not realize the relevance of the library.

My facebook link is here. http://www.facebook.com/eyelash99 This is a funny story about privacy on facebook. I've always used it as a personal way to communicate with friends, or people I have graduated with. My grandmother is now my friend on facebook. I am now a lot more cautious of what I post! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment