Saturday, February 27, 2010

Method 11

I particularly enjoyed browsing through the various podcasts from libraries. As a youth services librarian, I was most interested in the webcasts by teens and in the booktalks. Teen podcasts are a built in programming idea that involves one of our most challenging groups of patrons. Teens are hard to involve, yet here are teens creating podcasts about things teens enjoy, that are going to appeal to more teens. Booktalks are just another way to reach patrons, in my case children. If I could do this with, for example, the Bluebonnet Books, I'm sure it would be wildly successful and could interest children who don't know what they want to read and who need to be "sold" on a book. I think there is so much potential in youth services and beyond. By providing information in yet another format, I feel like we truly can offer something for everyone, whether print, audio, or video. The more ways we reach out to our community, the more people we reach. I also appreciate that this and many of the other topics covered allow for another level of interaction with our patrons. I think that is one overarching lesson that I've learned from this course.

No comments:

Post a Comment